Monday, November 28, 2011

A Tribute to "Flicka"

With Frederica "Flicka" von Stade one of the greatest living mezzo-sopranos said goodbye to the stage earlier this year. On Saturday 3 December the San Francisco Opera is paying tribute to her operatic achievements. Joining the party will be some of the greats who shared the stage with her: Kiri Te Kanawa, Susan Graham, Joyce DiDonato and Samuel Ramey.

Inspired by this aricle by the SF Chronicle I couldn't resist but browsing through the archive of Flicka performances on youtube. I'd like to share some gems from this incredible singer's career that has lasted 4 decades but has always stayed self-critical and down-to-earth:

La Cenerentola - Nacqui all'affanno... Non più mesta (1981)

She says now that she doesn't feel she ever got a handle on [Cenerentola] - which will come as a surprise to the thousands of listeners entranced by the technical flourish and expressive openness of her interpretation. "I think to do that piece, you have to be able to just toss it off. And I was always concentrating too hard, just trying to make it be what I wanted to be."

Le Nozze di Figaro - Non so più (1985)

"[Cherubino]'s a role that I sang way past the point of decency," she said. "I just didn't want to give it up. I think it's Mozart's character in many ways."

Rosenkavalier - Final Trio

"I love doing operas where I'm super busy, running around pretending to be a boy. Octavian (in Richard Strauss' 'Der Rosenkavalier') is another one."

Dead Man Walking (2011)


Interview with Frederica von Stade and Kiri te Kanawa


Click here for some more priceless quotes! You know you want to.

No comments: